[mythtv-users] Some general questions

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 11:14:24 UTC 2006

> 2. Sports programs (from cable) don't seem sharp. Is this a
> factor of the LCD's reaction time (8 ms is the quoted
> response rate)? Or could it be the cable signal? The cable is
> split off the connection which also provides my data service.
> It's on the first splitter (of two - this was done by the
> cable company as they told me the data signal was too strong
> (!)). Is the length of the coax likely to be a factor?

The analog rf input (coax input) of your video card provides the lowest
resolution capture of all of your choices. A better option would be to use
the audio/video phono plugs on the back of your cable box. Your best bet
quality wise would be to use the s-video/audio combo. Of course if all you
have is analog cable, your pretty much limited to a very low quality format
as you will have to deal with ghosts and smearing caused by cable leakage
and other factors.

To answer your cable length question. The length of the cable should not
affect anything other than a very slight loss of signal strength. A much
more important factor is that every port of your splitter is terminated with
a tv set or a 75 ohm termination. An unterminated output can cause some
stations to completely disappear due to mismatch reflections.