[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

Jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Mon Jul 31 21:29:14 UTC 2006

> I saw a comment along the way which indicated that data from the
> HDHomeRun box could be lost if the computer was heavily loaded.  I got
> the impression that no handshaking is performed, and the HDHomeRun box
> has very little onboard buffer.  Is this true?  How much of a load can
> the computer be under and not have this problem?
>
> With a dedicated backend computer, I doubt there would be any problem.
>  However, if the computer is performing frontend duties, I could
> easily see a load issue.

Hi John,

Actually HDHomeRun has more socket buffering than a linux machine with a
normal kernel build :-)

Early in development there was an issue in the backend device code which
meant it used a lot of CPU and could glitch.

This has been fixed and my 2GHz Sempron uses about 3% CPU for the
backend while recording from HDHomeRun.

Nick