[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 20:37:04 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Jafa <hdtv at silicondust.com> wrote:

> >> http://www.silicondust.com/main/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5
> >>

> > It also claims to be "Compatible with: ... MythTV - DVR for Linux and
> > Mac". What does "compatible with" mean in this context? This might be a
> > great solution to all my problems with firewire and the HD3000, *if* it
> > can be set up as a tuner in Myth. Wouldn't that require another capture
> > card type? That's why I'm curious what they mean by "compatible with"
> > MythTV.
> >
> Hi Greg,
>
> MythTV (svn trunk, soon to be 0.20) has a new capture device for direct
> HDHomeRun support. There are no kernel drivers or dependencies to have
> to get right.
>
> Configuring - run mythtv-setup and add two new capture devices of type
> HDHomeRun. Configure the first device to use tuner 0 and the second
> device to use tuner 1.
>
> You can run multiple HDHomeRun boxes - each box has two tuners so you
> would add two MythTV devices for each HDHomeRun box.
>
> Nick

I saw a comment along the way which indicated that data from the
HDHomeRun box could be lost if the computer was heavily loaded.  I got
the impression that no handshaking is performed, and the HDHomeRun box
has very little onboard buffer.  Is this true?  How much of a load can
the computer be under and not have this problem?

With a dedicated backend computer, I doubt there would be any problem.
 However, if the computer is performing frontend duties, I could
easily see a load issue.

Thanks,

John