[mythtv-users] Category & Category_Type in program table

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Sat Jul 29 03:40:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:07 pm, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > Attached is a patch for the old immir script.  The 'star-rating' is
> > simply translated from the rating field to over come an old Mythtv short
> > coming. The format of the star field is important and Mythweb supports up
> > to 4 stars with half stars, hence the divide by 8.
>
> Thanks for the info. I'm a bit confused about the star rating field.
> In the data that comes from 9MSN it's an out of 10 rating which I had
> assumed just needed to be converted to stars out of 5 for MythTV. But
> the patch you sent seems to convert it into a classification such as
> G, M, MA etc. Have I misunderstood what the star-rating field in the
> XML file is all about?

Not at all.  The 9MSN site didn't have ratings (so many stars, out of ten,
good or bad) for shows, so I converted the classification (C, G, M, MA) to
star-ratings, just so I could create advanced rules for recording based on
classifications (C, G, M, MA).  But now that 0.19 supports adding extra
tables like 'programrating' (C, G, M, MA) in advanced rules, its no longer
needed.

The 'star-rating' is stored in the database as a floating point number but
MythFrontend and MythWeb both have a maximum of four stars.  The float is
converted for example 1.0 is four stars and 0.5 is two stars, etc.  MythWeb
seems to have problems displaying floats that aren't 1/8 multiples.  I
believe this came about because the US guide data has four stars.

The details on how MythTV imports xml data is in
mythtv/programs/mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp

Paul