[mythtv-users] Which HD card?

Moasat mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 28 23:58:07 UTC 2006

> Not enough info to make a decision between the two cards yet,
> but you sure gave me a big education.
>
> I get it.  It's a DIGITAL broadcast.  What are they then?
> Are they standard mpeg2?  Oh there was something about mpeg
> stream and mpeg direct or something.  Are they a standard
> format that can be played by mplayer or MS Media Player?
>
> Thanks for the heads up on using the HD card as a second NTSC
> tuner!  I'll look to a second PVR150 for a second NTSC tuner
> and expect to capture only over-the-air HD with the new HD card.
>
> I hope someone contributes more info differentiating these
> cards, but until then thanks again for your reply.  It was
> very informative!
>
> --stan

I have two PVR150s and I recently got an HD5500.  I can tell you that the
drivers don't seem to want to play nicely together.  I think it was tveeprom
that was the problem. I had to use the drivers from pcHDTV because only
2.6.18 will recognize it.  2.6.17 or lower only recognizes the 3000 and
2000.  The ivtv wants to use the kernel's tveeprom but the HD5500 wants its
own.  I eventually got it all working by mixing up the modules until it
worked.

The 5500 has s-video/composite in as well as stereo but I don't use it for
that.  I only get OTA content.

I don't know anything about the AverMedia except what I've read on the list.