[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 10:56:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 10:27:25AM +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Friday 28 July 2006 06:05, Peter Schachte wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 04:33:35PM +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> > > And how do you create entries for both recordings in the database?
> >
> > It would complicate the recording code a bit, but when multiple
> > programs are fused into a single recording, the code would create a
> > separate hard link for each program and write one database entry for
> > each program identifying the appropriate hard link (file name).
>
> Do you see that this is more complex than allowing two or more
> recordings?

I don't know how hard it would be to get myth to be able to write
multiple files at once from the same tuner (don't forget it can be
more than two files at once if the end late of one program is longer
than the next program minus the start early of the following program).

But several people have posted here that the hard part of either of
these fixes would be to fix the scheduler.  Given recording priorities
and tuner priorities, I can certainly believe that.  I'd like to see a
definition of the objective function the scheduler is meant to
maximize; even that's not obvious to me.

> > I certainly agree that having myth write the overlapping parts of
> > back-to-back programs with start early/end late settings is the
> > cleaner solution.  I'm eager to see it implemented.  But I think what
> > I suggested is better than the current situation.
>
> Depends on the POV. From a user perspective maybe but not from a
> development perspective.

If the proper solution is really as easy as the hack, that's probably
what'll get implemented first, and is moare likely to be accepted into
Myth.

--
Peter Schachte              I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        of the human race, in its gradual improvement,