[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Janne Grunau janne-mythtvusers at grunau.be
Fri Jul 28 08:27:25 UTC 2006

On Friday 28 July 2006 06:05, Peter Schachte wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 04:33:35PM +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> > And how do you create entries for both recordings in the database?
>
> It would complicate the recording code a bit, but when multiple
> programs are fused into a single recording, the code would create a
> separate hard link for each program and write one database entry for
> each program identifying the appropriate hard link (file name).

Do you see that this is more complex than allowing two or more
recordings?

> > If I record two or more movies back-to-back I wouldn't want to skip
> > over all others if I want only see the last one.
>
> That's why myth would automatically set a bookmark for each recording
> but the first at the appropriate duration into the fused recording.

Additional code which adds to the complexity.

> > You can circumvent parental control with this since all recordings
> > are accessible through the others.
>
> You've got me there.
>
> I certainly agree that having myth write the overlapping parts of
> back-to-back programs with start early/end late settings is the
> cleaner solution.  I'm eager to see it implemented.  But I think what
> I suggested is better than the current situation.

Depends on the POV. From a user perspective maybe but not from a
development perspective. It's wasted effort and interferes with a clean
solution. I suspect that Isaac won't commit such a patch.

Janne