[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jul 27 14:10:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 06:07:42PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/26/06 17:32, Steve Hodge wrote:
> >It's not a minor defect, it's a major issue for people with one card.
> >It means carefully monitoring schedules and overriding your usual
> >default start early and end late times.

I go through my upcoming recordings list a few times a week doing
this.

> Or having an appropriate number of capture cards for the amount of
> recording you want to do.  If you want to watch 2 TV shows at the same
> time from your satellite or digital cable TV service, how many
> satellite/cable receivers do you buy?  So, if you want to record 2 shows
> at the same time, how many capture cards should you buy?

I've got two tuner cards, so I can record two shows at once.  But
right now I'd actually need four tuners if I want to watch two
programs at once twice in a row one the same two channels (with
several minutes of end late time for each program, as is essential in
Australia).  Fortunately, I can work around this by manually
overriding the start and end times as Steve suggested.  It plays havoc
with the WAF, though, when one recording winds up holding the the
start or end of a different program, and gets deleted.

Sure, more tuners would be better.  For one thing, the fixes we're
talking about won't do anything for sequential programs on different
channels.  Still, anything myth can do to allow you to record more
programs without more tuners would be welcome.

--
Peter Schachte              It has become appallingly obvious that our
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        technology has exceeded our humanity.