[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Adrian Wallace awallace at qtech.com.au
Thu Jul 27 01:08:37 UTC 2006

>It's not a minor defect, it's a major issue for people with one card.
>It means carefully monitoring schedules and overriding your usual
>default start early and end late times.

Absolutely - and even with those with multiple cards its an issue where
schuled compliance is poor. Here in Australia schedules are regarded by TV
networks as nothing more than an approxiamate guide. I have a default
overun of 5 minutes on all recordings and on some shows need to override
the schedule to handle a 45 minute overrun (For some reason 'Big Brother'
and other reality TV shit almost  always overruns horrendously).

Having 2 tuners is fine most of the time if all I want to do is record 1
stream of programs:
8:30-9:30 Ch 7 (45 minute overrun) (Tuner1)
9:30-10:30 Ch 9 (5 minute overrun) (Tuner2)
10:30-11:30 Ch 7....  (Tuner1)

but even that it not guaranteed sucessful!:
8:30-9:30 Ch 7 (45 minute overrun) (Tuner1)
9:30-10:00 Ch 9 (5 minute overrun) (Tuner2)
10:00-11:00 Ch 7.... ...CANT BE RECORDED... Both tuners in use!! :-)

and If I want to record 2 concurrent schedules with appropriate overruns I
need how many tuners??? Thats just plain silly....

If a solution can be worked whereby the output from one tuner can be
simultanesouly written to both the previous and next recodings file - it
would be FANTASTIC....