[mythtv-users] Hardware suggestions

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Jul 25 03:58:02 UTC 2006

>Hi
>
>I've been using MythTV on a Via EPIA MII-10000 for a little while
>now, but I've not been able to fix some annoying problems with
>regular system lockups.  These happen at least once a day, and fsck
>has been quite busy of late.
>I've been following a thread on the VIA website about it, which
>seems to conclude that it's a problem with one of the chipsets and
>it's not likely to be fixed.
>
>So, I've decide to replace the thing.  I've done a fair amount of
>browsing, but I'd like a little advice on a suitable motherboard.
>
>What I plan to build is:
>Antec Fusion case
>(<http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=08739>http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=08739)
>NVidia FX5200
>Motherboard, processor & memory
>Existing 300Gb IDE hard drive, PVR-350 & WinTV-Nova-T-USB2
>
>The NVidia FX5200 seems inexpensive and seems to have good support.
>
>I'm looking for a Mini-ITX motherboard that is reliable/stable under
>Linux.  My preferred distro is Debian.  I'm based in the UK, so
>something that's available here would help :-)
>
>This box will sit under my TV, so I'll need it to be really quiet.
>I'll be using it for SD recording, both from digital terrestrial and
>the S-Video input on the PVR-350 (connected to a satellite box).
>I'd like to be able to use MythDVD and the visualisations on MythMusic.
>
>Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
>
>Thanks :-)
>
>Steve

That case is pretty much a NSK2400 with a VFD and volume knob.  I've
just put together a system with the NSK2400 case and can strongly
recommend it, quiet and easy to work with.  It'll take a mATX board
so that should give you plenty of choices.

I ended up with an Athlon64 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 M/B, and a
Nvidia FX-7300 card (for TV-Out, PCI-e and fanless).  Just be sure to
get a black DVD drive as anything else looks rather out of place with
the silver plastic of the case.

  - Wade