[mythtv-users] Hardware suggestions

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 22:39:11 UTC 2006

On 7/24/06, scamp <scampgb at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I've decide to replace the thing.  I've done a fair amount of browsing,
> but I'd like a little advice on a suitable motherboard.
>
> What I plan to build is:
> Antec Fusion case (http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=08739)
> NVidia FX5200
> Motherboard, processor & memory
> Existing 300Gb IDE hard drive, PVR-350 & WinTV-Nova-T-USB2
>
> The NVidia FX5200 seems inexpensive and seems to have good support.
>
> I'm looking for a Mini-ITX motherboard that is reliable/stable under Linux.
> My preferred distro is Debian.  I'm based in the UK, so something that's
> available here would help :-)
>
> This box will sit under my TV, so I'll need it to be really quiet.  I'll be
> using it for SD recording, both from digital terrestrial and the S-Video
> input on the PVR-350 (connected to a satellite box).

Sounds like you want something low-power. I'm surprised you haven't
been able to get your MII-10000 running stable, what distro are you
running?

As far as low power/quiet systems go, look into an AMD Geode system,
or running an AMD Sempron Socket 754 that supports Cool'n'Quiet. One
of the EE edition A64s may work, too. They aren't fanless, which would
be nice, but you're pretty much stuck with Via or a huge heatsink or
watercooling for that.

-Dave