[mythtv-users] Sanity check before I upgrade

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jul 24 16:52:30 UTC 2006

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason why your going to FC4 rather then FC5?
>> (I recently rebuilt my machine after it died mysteriously - previously
>> FC4, rebuilt as FC5 without to many problems, except a few I made up
>> myself.
>
> Two reasons. Some people seem to haved had probs w FC5. But more
> importantly, the MythTV setup bible aka Jarod's guide is based on FC4.

There is no real difference in the install between FC4 and FC5. The only
difference worth noting is that once you are up and running, you need to
'su' and run gdmsetup to allow a direct boot to 'root' which is
basically necessary to an install of the cards and their setup (modules,
ivtv etc.) By default, in FC5, root is not allowed a graphical
login...you are supposed to 'su' always...which is waste of time during
setup.

Geoff