[mythtv-users] using mythtv

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 18:58:57 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Tony H <ahuebel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks guys for your reponses. I will look into knoppmyth. I will
> potentially have a simple setup as well but I was hoping to test it on my
> desktop PC running FC5 (with the added hardware required of course). My
> other option is to go with M$ media center which I really do not want to do
> but for an extra 110.00 it is a tempting alternative.

Knoppmyth is not a bad idea. I've used it before, and it works.  But,
if you're wanting to run Myth on your FC install, one of the best
sources of info is at:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
(in case you haven't read it)

The size is somewhat daunting, but there's a lot of info in there,
some of which may not apply to you.

If you have a spare hard drive, you could always pop it into your PC
and put Knoppmyth on it for a trial (to see if you want to go through
all of the FC5 insall).  At least that way, you wouldn't mess up your
FC install w/ weird rpm problems. (It's been a _long_ time since I
used Redhat.... "rpm hell" may be a thing of the past?)

Anyway, that'd give you a feel for Myth.  And considering it's Free
(beer/speech) and extensible, I always felt it was a better option
than MS MediaCenter.

--Phill W.