[mythtv-users] Use Xv Picture Controls

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 12 21:05:05 UTC 2006

On 07/12/2006 03:43 PM, Mercury Morris wrote:
> On 7/12/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/12/06 13:06, Mercury Morris wrote:
>>> One solution, recommended by several people, is to just use the 'F' key
>>> and set the Hue for good faces, skin tone, etc.  I'm looking for an
>>> alternative solution, so I can leave the Hue at 50%, instead of having
>>> it pegged up over 90%, just to see non-blue faces.
>> How can a circular control be pegged (i.e. hue wraps around, so the
>> difference between 1% and 100% is only 1%).  Unfortunately, there's no
>> standard meaning for, e.g. 90%, so some cards' drivers define 0% as the
>> default value and others define 50% as the default and ...
>>
> Hue may wrap around on other systems, but not on mine.  When the value
> of zero(0) is reached, it changes to -1 and can no longer be adjusted.
>  After that, it's blue faces forever.  So, I am quite reluctant to get
> too close to 100, and that's why I used the term "pegged".

That doesn't mean Hue doesn't wrap around, only that Myth's UI has a
bug--which is not hard to believe since Daniel has been working on this
quite a bit lately and isn't yet done.  So--since you're using SVN--be
patient or fix it yourself.  ;)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/169212#169212

>> You just need to set the value to the appropriate value for your card in
>> your frontend.

Which you may have to do without the UI.

>>> Has anyone any idea how to get the Use Xv Picture Controls setting to
>>> appear again?
>>>
>> Use an old version of Myth...
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/205106#205106 says:
>>
>> This also gets rid of the "UseOutputPictureControls" option. I don't see
>> any reason why you would ever want to disable picture attributes if your
>> hardware supports it, and it does no harm to have them enabled if the
>> hardware does not support them.
>>
>> In other words, they're always enabled.  Your use of the 'F' key to
>> change playback picture controls proves this...  That's the way you
>> access the Xv picture controls.
>>
>>> One person suggested deleting the following settings from the database:
>>>
>>> PlaybackBrightness
>>> PlaybackContrast
>>> PlaybackColour
>>> PlaybackHue
>>>
>>> I'll try this step, but first I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this
>>> and not suffered some catastrophic meltdown of the frontend.
>>>

>> All settings in Myth have default values (I think the default for Hue is
>> 0), so you would just be going back to the Myth defaults--which may or
>> may not be right for your video card.
> Obviously, MythTV playback is applying the Hue setting for the TV, but
> not for the monitor.  I just want MythTV to stop applying the Hue
> setting.  I made a mistake by touching the 'F' key, and now can't find
> my way out of the MythTV doghouse.

So, delete the settings above (or at least the PlaybackHue) and go back
to the defaults (or change the PlaybackHue directly in the database).
Or, go back to an older version of Myth.

Mike