[mythtv-users] If you have a PVR250 card, please tell me...

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 21:43:18 UTC 2006

On 11/07/06, Joe Marcom <jmarcom at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>

> > I'd say it's more likely a tuner type misconfiguration if it works
> > normally in Windows (or you have not switched the card's input to the
> > tuner -see ivtvctl. The codec chip is a Conexant part - the tuner
> > could be Samsung/Philips/etc.
> >
> > The following script will provide the most recent ivtv modprobe output
> > from your syslog (it should mention the tuner's status) - this is
> > extremely useful information:
> >
> > tac /var/log/messages |
> > sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
> >        /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
> > tac
> >

> > Do you have any ivtv options in your modprobe.conf file? ivtv is now
> > very good at autodetecting the tuner type, but it may still be
> > required for some tuners. What version of ivtv/kernel are you running?
> >
> > Nick
>
>    Thanks for the script; I can use it when I try a different distro.
>    Didn't get ivtv with Mandriva 2006; I do have XawTV, KDETV and TVtime.

ivtv is a hardware driver for the Hauppauge PVR cards. XawTV, KDETV
and TVTime are TV applications, which require a TV/capture card that
is already working under Linux. If you haven't got ivtv, you need to
either install it via your Mandriva package manager, or download the
source from www.ivtvdriver.org and compile it.

> I tried using a PVR150 MCE, with the same detection problem (which was
> expected).

Are you actually loading the ivtv module? This is the driver for _all_
of the Hauppauge PVR-xx0 cards and without it, you will _NOT_ get card
the card working. Note that ivtv is not in the mainline kernel
(hopefully in the 2.6.18/2.6.19 release).

Framegrabber cards like the WinTV Go, on the other hand, commonly use
the bttv driver which is in the kernel. I find it unlikely (although
not impossible) that the PVR-150/250 cards are not compatible.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/