[mythtv-users] Kernel Panic - SCSI & IDE

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Jul 11 15:56:42 UTC 2006

On Wed Jul 12, 2006 at 01:22:37AM +1000, Bruce Nordstrand wrote:

> Well, I am back at my original problem, sort of - still a kernel panic
>
> I have been running fine with just the SCSI drive connected. Tonight, I
> thought I would try out the setup with the IDE running as well.
> Unfortunately, a similar thing to what I originally posted about
> happened: (Last few lines of boot screen)
>
> =========
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
> VFS: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
> Freeing unused kernel memory 220K freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console
> Kernel panic - not synching: No init found Try passing init> kernel
> =========
>
> Being a Linux "medium" user, I have no idea what this means.
>
> My grub menu.lst:
>
> boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2141_FC4)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4 ro root=/dev/sda2 rhgb quiet
> 	initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4.img
> title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/sda2 rhgb quiet
> 	initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

Sounds very odd - all that adding the IDE drive should affect is the
boot drive, and possibly the drive numbering in GRUB (though the fact
that it's finding the kernel would suggest this isn't the issue).

I'd suggest removing/commenting out the splashimage and hiddenmenu lines
in your menu.lst - this'll make sure you aren't missing anything.  You
can then check whether the menu you're given at boot is the one you're
expecting (at the menu, choose to edit the command and make sure it
matches your menu.lst).  Also check that the SCSI drive is picked up
correctly during the boot process, and is mapped to /dev/sda.

HTH,
        Robin
--
     ___