[mythtv-users] Kernel Panic - SCSI & IDE

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Tue Jul 11 15:22:37 UTC 2006

Well, I am back at my original problem, sort of - still a kernel panic

I have been running fine with just the SCSI drive connected. Tonight, I
thought I would try out the setup with the IDE running as well.
Unfortunately, a similar thing to what I originally posted about
happened: (Last few lines of boot screen)

==================
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
VFS: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory 220K freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic - not synching: No init found Try passing init= option to
kernel
==================

Being a Linux "medium" user, I have no idea what this means.

This will be my last attempt to get the SCSI and the IDE to play happily
together. If anyone could help, that would be great.

This would be the "config" with both drives active:

HDA: 40Gb IDE
HDB: DVD RW Drive
SDA: 18.6GB IBM SCSI - SCSI ID: #5

CMOS set to boot from Hard Drive 0

Partitions:

/dev/sda1 - mounted on /boot
/dev/sda2 - mounted on /
/dev/sda3 - swap

/dev/hda - one big 40G partition, formatted ext3 - not mounted anywhere
as yet

My grub menu.lst:

boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2141_FC4)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4 ro root=/dev/sda2 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/sda2 rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

Once again looking for generous assistance

Cheers
Bruce