[mythtv-users] MediaMVP not booting from tftp server, anybody seen this before?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 10 19:04:50 UTC 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Gert-Jan Bilt, van de wrote:

> I am a bit new to this tftp thing, but I think I have configured it
> all correct. However, the MediaMVP I have just purchased refuses to
> boot from the tftp file.
>
> If I install the Hauppagge offered software the MediaMVP notices
> the software immediately, but if I just have the Linux box online
> nothing happens:
> Jul 10 20:44:26 host dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:0d:fe:0b:b4:ec via
> eth0
> Jul 10 20:44:27 host dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.0.158 to 00:0d:fe:
> 0b:b4:ec via eth0
> Jul 10 20:44:27 host dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.158
> (192.168.0.4) from 00:0d:fe:0b:b4:ec via eth0
> Jul 10 20:44:27 host dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.0.158 to 00:0d:fe:
> 0b:b4:ec via eth0
>
> And then zip, nada.
>
> Do I check with ethereal then I see a total of 4 occurances of
> "Unknown WCCP Message [Malformed Packet]" coming in on ip address
> 255.255.255.255, 2 to port 16881 and 2 to port 16891.
>
> The MediaMVP that I have has firmware version 2.05. Could it have
> something to do with a change in the firmware? Does the MediaMVP no
> longer use standard tftp perhaps? Anybody any idea?

First, I'm not sure what you mean by firmware 2.05, have you flashed
the mvpmc firmware into the unit? If you have you should be running
0.2.1 or the newer 0.3.0. It will not work with the factory firmware
still installed, for that you need to use the included server
software. If it's working with the included software I suspect you
are running factory firmware.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there have been changes to
the newest MVP hardware, and for that I believe you need the newest
firmware (0.3.0).

I'm using 0.2.1 and it's working fine, I haven't tried the  new 0.3.0
yet (why mess with what works?).

If you have the correct firmware installed and are still having
problems let me know and I'll post the exact contents of my /tftpboot
directory as well as the contents of my dongle.bin.mvpmc.config file.

Be aware that you also have to be exporting your recordings directory
vis NFS for the MVP to work properly, but you don't seem to have
gotten to that point yet.

The MVP is a great little almost-a-frontend, you'll enjoy it when you
get it working.