[mythtv-users] mythtv .19.1 released?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jul 8 18:41:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 12:12:29PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > Since most (all?) packagers are using 0.19-fixes,
>
> Hrm.  I have my doubts about this.  I think than any packagers that know
> what they are doing know that you cannot just keep re-releasing the same
> package (i.e. as in rpm) version with newer and newer code.  Package
> users will never see an upgrade.  The version number has to increment to
> get an upgrade.  Any I'd also hazard to guess most packages are not
> "inventing" point release numbers on their own.  Any "professional"
> packager is waiting for an official "upstream" release before they
> repackage.

As others have pointed out packaging systems like rpm and deb have a
release tag which can increase to denote a newer package even when the
version should remain the same.

I understand Brian's reluctance. It looks to him like packagers
grabbing a piece of svn and packaging on their own neglecting upstream
(since upstream hasn't released a tarball).

But this is not the case here. Upstream, aka the mythtv developers,
actually invented after 0.18 the -fixes branch for packagers and power
users to get svn diffs for their packages. Check out the main mythtv
page for background.

So packagers really should use diffs from -fixes. One may argue that
one doesn't like this model, and perhaps having more often point
releases could serve the purpose better, but actually this model works
obviously quite fine.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net