[mythtv-users] LIRC and PVR 150/250 (still struggling)

Scott Johnson scott-mythtv at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 6 04:29:46 UTC 2006

I've been trying to get LIRC to work with my PVR 150 for a while now.  A
friend gave me a PVR 250 and both are working nicely as TV tuners.  I
have an IR cable for each now while I try to get some response from at
least one of them.

The overall symptom is that everything looks good software wise (as far
as I can tell) but I don't see any response from irrecord or irw.
My remote that came with my PVR 150 is sending an IR signal because I
can see it when I use my camcorder.

The devices are there...

# ll /dev/lirc*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Jul  4 15:23 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root root 61, 0 Jul  4 15:23 /dev/lirc0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root root 61, 1 Jul  4 15:23 /dev/lirc1
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Jul  5 23:40 /dev/lircd

I'm using Fedora Core 4 and I have followed Jarod's guide regarding LIRC
and /etc/modprobe.conf

/etc/modprobe.conf
===============
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias forcedeth off
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias char-major-81 ivtv
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv tuner=50

remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
options nvsound index=0
remove nvsound { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove nvsound
alias eth0 nvnet
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-8756
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-8756
# this needs to be after ivtv is loaded
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
lirc_i2c
=======================

I've read this post
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-April/040219.html
and it looks like I have the same or similar problem: the installed LIRC
was not compiled for my Hauppauge card.
Note that lirc_i2c is not in the list below.

# /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=help
Driver `help' not supported.
Supported drivers:
    alsa_usb
    atilibusb
    audio
    audio_alsa
    bte
    bw6130
    creative
    creative_infracd
    default
    dev/input
    dsp
    dvico
    ea65
    irman
    livedrive_midi
    livedrive_seq
    logitech
    mp3anywhere
    mouseremote
    mouseremote_ps2
    null
    pcmak
    pinsys
    pixelview
    silitek
    tira
    udp
    uirt2
    uirt2_raw

I've already tried to compile my own LIRC.  I downloaded lirc-0.7.2 and
lirc-0.8.0 and neither one correctly compiles against my kernel source
(2.6.16-1.2111_FC4).  I did the configure process correctly for LIRC by
telling it to compile the Hauppauge driver.  The driver code is looking
for fields in the kernel source that don't exist.  I updated my kernel
(to 2.6.16-1.2111_FC4) so that I could use the yum package that was
available for LIRC so I wouldn't have to solve this compilation issue.

If someone can tell me how I might rebuild LIRC so that it doesn't
conflict with my yum packages and it compiles against my kernel source,
that may do the trick.

Also, someone will say that I'm not using the correct devices when doing
IRRECORD but I've been using the option --device=/dev/lirc0 or
--device=/dev/lirc1  to try both cards.   I always point the remote at
both gray IR receivers.

# /sbin/service lircd start
OK
# /usr/bin/irrecord --device=/dev/lirc0 ~mythtv/irrecord.txt
(I press buttons on the remote and point it at the IR cable's receiver)
/usr/bin/irrecord: gap not found, can't continue
# irw
(I press buttons on the remote and point it at the IR cable's
receiver...nothing)
CTRL-C

# tail /var/log/messages
Jul 6 blah blah lircd-0.8.1-CVS[15256] : accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Jul 6 blah blah lircd-0.8.1-CVS[15256] : removed client

So I'm doing that stuff correctly.  It must be that my installed LIRC
isn't compiled for my driver.  (There was a question a few lines back
about how to fix this.)

Scott