[mythtv-users] MythTV and LVM

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 18:06:28 UTC 2006

> Unless you LVM on top of RAID-1 which is what I do.  While this is
> somewhat wasteful if you put a low value on your TV recordings, I have
> other data which I do value and they share the LVM on RAID-1 disks in
> different partitions.

Better still might be LVM on top of md RAID-5.  The ability to grow
software RAID-5 will soon be in the mainline linux kernel.  At least
it should be by the time you come to add a new disk.  What I haven't
figured out yet is whether an LVM PV will automatically see the new md
device size.  Perhaps somebody who has grown a hardware RAID can
answer this?

If PVs and associated volume groups don't magically grow after a RAID
reshape, all is not lost.  I think md devices can be partitioned.  In
this situation, you would add a new partition to the md device each
time you add a disk.  Do a pvcreate on the new partition and then a
vgextend to include the new PV.
Simple!  I think. :)

Seriously, if somebody thinks I've got this all wrong, please speak
up.  This is how I plan on setting up my disks when I rebuild my
backend after 0.19 is out.

Alex