[mythtv-users] MythTV and LVM

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 31 17:58:59 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:24, Roland Roberts wrote:
>     >> Are there any other concerns for using LVM?  Are there any
>     >> serious speed penalties?
>
>     PAUL> Yes, you are putting yourself in peril.  The more drives you
>     PAUL> add to an LVM array, the more likely you are to have total
>     PAUL> filesystem failure.  If one of the drives dies, your whole LVM
>     PAUL> array is pretty much done for.
>
> Unless you LVM on top of RAID-1 which is what I do.  While this is
> somewhat wasteful if you put a low value on your TV recordings, I have
> other data which I do value and they share the LVM on RAID-1 disks in
> different partitions.  Being able to expand the space for my photography
> work at the expense of my TV space is useful to me....

Personally, I prefer a RAID5 setup underneath LVM (for Myth, anyhow), since
you can expand the capacity of a RAID5 array non-destructively. Grow the
underlying RAID5, then grow the LVM, then grow the file system, and you've
still got at least a bit of disk redundancy in addition to the ability to
expand your capacity.

However, I'm actually moving to a hardware SATA RAID controller, running a
RAID5 w/a hot spare across 8 250GB disks. Won't be bothering with LVM though,
I think this'll be enough capacity for at least a few years. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com