[mythtv-users] nvidia, opengl, kernel and more

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Jan 26 05:45:22 UTC 2006

I've been using ATI cards with lots of success for a while now. Just for fun,
I decided to try nvidia, so I have a new FX5200, based on everything I've read
that should be a good card. Brand new gentoo installation, myth 0.18.1, P4
3.0, HD tuner cards.

Anyway, I'm running into lots of playback problems. No crashing, myth is
running great as always, but playback of live tv or recorded programs is
giving me lots of problems. I haven't tried all yet, but several combinations of
nvidia drivers, kernel (2.6.14 and 2.6.15), XvMC on/off,  ffmpeg2, deinterlacing,
opengl (BTW, if I understand correctly, to turn opengl on/off with gentoo, I
just recompile mythtv with the USE flag of opengl or -opengl, right?).

Anyway, sometimes the CPU is too high, or choppy video, or black-n-white OSD,
prebuffering pauses, choppy audio, stuttering, etc.

I must add that using mplayer to view any video plays it *perfectly* on this
computer, and playing the video on my other frontends (ATI cards and a ROKU)
also plays everything perfectly.

I guess my question is, What is the best combination for nvidia? What driver ver?
What kernel? What opengl setting? Xorg.conf settings? If anyone has similar
hardware and has it running well, please let me know your working combination.