[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD hangs up

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Tue Jan 24 20:24:09 UTC 2006

At 02:44 PM 1/24/2006, you wrote:
>On 24 Jan 2006 11:38:20 -0800, Jim Reith
><<mailto:reith at racores.com>reith at racores.com> wrote:
>
><http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119577,pg,4,00.asp>http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119577,pg,4,00.asp
>
>"Despite efforts by media and drive vendors to improve
>compatibility, your double-layer DVD+R disc may not play correctly
>in a DVD player or in an older, single-layer DVD drive."
>

>That part's true.  However, commercial DVD's have been dual-layer for years.

correct but if the drive it is being played on is a legacy drive just
put in the box, it could be an issue. Note the recent discussion of
costs where people assembled their MythBox from stuff hanging around
to see if they wanted to even bother, only buying a tuner card that
they didn't already have. I know I probably have some single layer
DVD ROMs sitting in my collection.