[mythtv-users] New to mythtv, need help

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Tue Jan 24 19:17:54 UTC 2006

<snip>
> As I mentioned above, I am connecting my PVR-350 to my TV via an RF
> converter.  I don't think my TV was made in the last 5 years.

OK, what you need is a box to take your output from a sound card and combine it with the video into a single composite input.

Note that the composite output of most cards is composite video out, not complete. I can't speak to the PVR-350, but I suspect the situation is the same here. As I recall, there's no output for sound... so yes you will need a sound card to output sound as well. Since you're saying you only have a single input on your TV, you'll also need an external box to take the composite video (or S-Video) and combine it with the line out from the sound card into a single input. This is going to result in some loss of quality.

Most TV's I've seen in the last 10 years have separate inputs for left/right audio and video... but this is in the US so I don't know if this situation's different in other parts of the world.

Hope this helps.