[mythtv-users] XvMC - Nvidia isssues?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sun Jan 22 15:53:04 UTC 2006

Dan Seddon wrote:
> Hi
> This is my first post to the list after getting my system up and
> running. I have a Mythtv setup which I'm really pleased with it's 95%
> perfect! However - that remaining 5% is always worth persuing so... I'm
> using XvMC which means my Athlon XP 1600 trundles away at 15% usage
> whilst playing DVB-T (standard definition PAL) video. This has 3 issues
> which reading through the list have been mentioned on and off - but I
> haven't found all the answers.
>
> First off - the menus become monochrome, which isn't a biggy and worth
> putting up with for the performance gain (but it would be nice to know
> if this is preventable).

Search the archives or http://svn.mythtv.org for ChromaKey OSD.  I'm not
sure if this was put in before 0.18 or not, but in SVN you can enable a
setting in the database to use a 16 color OSD for XvMC use and on mine
it works great.
> Lastly the problem which I count as my final 5% - I have an issue with
> some programs where the video stutters (the video may stutter in time
> too, but it's hard to tell when your ears are hurting). It's been a
> complete bafflement to me as it happens on only some programs (not
> channels) and non of the configurations I've tried get rid of it (other
> than diabling XvMC) - playing the same .nuvs with mplayer reveals that
> the only unique characteristic of these recording seems to be that the
> audio is at 256 kbits, whereas most of the other recording I have are at
> 192... I haven't been very scientific in checking it - but it seems to
> be consistant, having checked a few recordings. It happens to about 1 in
> 5 recordings, or maybe less, at the moments - but is fustrating as I
> have to go in to my options and reconfigure everytime I want to watch
> such a recording. I've only seen this issue posted once by a guy who
> said he was using the via equivalent of XvMC (I haven't found his post
> again - as it was a while ago) - which might be important as is implies
> it isn't a driver problem (I get the same issue when running the
> frontend on my laptop with a completely different sound card and older
> Quadro card). Is anyone else familier with this problem? I'm in the UK -
> where we don't have HDTV yet, so I can't be that my systems overwhelmed
> by what I'm throwing at it?

Are you using OpenGL Vsync?  Seems any Nvidia driver above 7676 (which
I'm use with great success) has problems with OpenGL Vsync enabled.

Kevin