[mythtv-users] Looking for high WAF in-wall speakers!!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 19 14:54:29 UTC 2006

Kirby Bakken wrote:

>Richard Bronosky wrote:
>

>>I find AVSForums.com to be totally unintelligible, so I am asking here.
>>Does anyone have any suggestions for speakers that can be totally hidden
>>inside a wall and painted?  I'm looking for small speakers that my wife
>>won't hate.
>>
>>Why is it that Bose can use those tiny little cube speakers for there
>>flag ship product, but their in-wall speakers have to have a 8 3/4" by
>>6" face plate?
>>

>Parts express (www.partsexpress.com) has some fairly small speakers..

Various manufacturers make in-wall speakers. You can get/see one at
Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036284&cp=2032057.2032183

$50.00 (each, I think).  I would guess that these would really need to
be paired with a good sub-woofer for reasonable all-round sound.

I've seen this sort of speaker in places I have visited and a ceiling
mount is not very noticeable. Depending on your access to the joist end,
these could be an easy retrofit. In-wall mounting requires access
through the bottom sill plate, to lead the wiring, or removal then
replacement of the baseboard with the wiring behind.

I've been thinking about how to wire my basement rec room, and I've come
to the realization that not only will the existing ceiling tile have to
come down, but so will the wall paneling, so that I can insulate.
Re-wiring for speakers could amount to the same sort of job! In my case,
even with things open I will have to drill holes through about 12 joists.

Geoff