[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboards & Learning Remotes, Just don't get it! (Still confused)

Ramzy Darwish ramzy.darwish at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 04:23:14 UTC 2006

Thank you all so much for your honesty and help, but I am still a little
confused.
I have read my remote's manual and know how to teach it keys; my problem is
that I don't know how to get the correct values to enter in as the keyboard
codes.

FOr sure, my remote is not one of the fancy learning remotes that you can
just point the other remote at and have it learn the command/keycode, and I
know that I have to enter each key manually. But I don't know what to enter
in as the command/keycode.

So, I can put it in 'learn key mode', tell it I want it to learn the 'left
arrow command', but then what do I put in as the command? It cannot 'listen'
for a command from another remote or keyboard (at least the manual doesn't
tell me how)

Am I misunderstanding that my remote (URC-6131) can actually mimic or work
with an IR keyboard?

I just don't understand that one step of how you find out what to enter in
as a code from whatever the keyboard sends. I can find out how to get the
keyboard codes, but they are long hex strings, correct? Do I convert these
numbers to decimal numbers then enter those?

I know I am missing something about all of this, I just don't know what and
need a little push. All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Should I upgrade? I am reading through the JP1 docs on remotecentral.com and
hifi-remotes.com, but am still unclear.

I really am not trying to be difficult. I am trying to find the solution to
this, but keep going round in circles. If anybody sees what I don't seem to
understand correctly, please set me straight.

Once again, thanks in advance. The answers have gotten me closer (I know it
is not a proper 'learning' remote now), but I am still not quite there.
--
Ramzy Darwish
ramzy.darwish at gmail.com
http://ramzydarwish.net