[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboards & Learning Remotes, Just don't get it! (Still confused)

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sun Jan 15 04:47:09 UTC 2006

Ramzy Darwish wrote:
> Thank you all so much for your honesty and help, but I am still a
> little confused.
> I have read my remote's manual and know how to teach it keys; my
> problem is that I don't know how to get the correct values to enter in
> as the keyboard codes.
>
> FOr sure, my remote is not one of the fancy learning remotes that you
> can just point the other remote at and have it learn the
> command/keycode, and I know that I have to enter each key manually.
> But I don't know what to enter in as the command/keycode.
>
> So, I can put it in 'learn key mode', tell it I want it to learn the
> 'left arrow command', but then what do I put in as the command? It
> cannot 'listen' for a command from another remote or keyboard (at
> least the manual doesn't tell me how)
>
> Am I misunderstanding that my remote (URC-6131) can actually mimic or
> work with an IR keyboard?
I have that remote, or should say, had.  It is not learning, there are
no commands you can put into it to make it work as an IR keyboard.  It
has the blank block inside the battery compartment for a JP1 connector
but it is not installed and it would take dismantling the remote to add
it.

I'm using a URC-8910 which has both learning modes as well as the JP1
connector for programming via software.  I would suggest either using
LIRC to work with your remote or changing remotes.

Kevin