[mythtv-users] upgraded to HDTV, but still recording SDTV. How to smooth pixelation of playback?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 20:34:51 UTC 2006

--- "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 02/26/2006 01:16 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

<snip>

> I would say that it has much more to do with the
> fact that DVD's are
> clean source material, often recorded at high
> bitrate, usually at
> 720x480, and often progressive.  Therefore, DVD's
> are just much higher
> quality.
>
> Although it's a relatively expensive solution, if
> you want good picture
> quality on your HDTV, you should make the move to
> HDTV recording...  :)
>
> Mike

I have to agree with this.

I've got a 30" HDTV (a CRT one though, something that
I recently received as a "hand-me-down"), and while
the stuff I record in MythTV using SD from the analog
cable l0oks decent, it blew my mind away when I saw
the local HD stations with an antenna (just using an
HD receiver, MythTV was not involved).

I'm still going to be using SD for the channels that I
watch that aren't available OTA, but I'm definitely
getting an HD card and an antenna (I'm at the research
stage, deeciding which one works best for me).

Now, if only there was a way to get the digital data
from a dish feed so that no transformations were
necessary (MPEG-2 to analog, back to MPEG-2).  That
would convince me to go with a dish, no questions
asked.

-- Joe