[mythtv-users] best quality capture card for software encoding?

Nick Bartos spam1001 at 2thebatcave.com
Sun Feb 26 01:22:28 UTC 2006

> I've got a PVR-350 and I can't tell the difference between it and
> direct to my TV from the cable line. Have you checked to make sure
> your default encoder settings aren't too low?

Yea I have tried all the settings (even ones not available in myth).  The
problem is with the encoding.  Basically motion is sometimes choppy
(choppy may be a bit strong of a word for it).  I can imagine that some
people may not see it, but for me the problem is too noticeable.  Years
ago I tried the pvr250s and had quality issues and just recently the
pvr150s.  Then I tried an adaptec one with a mpeg2 encoder chip too, but
it does the same thing.  I am guessing it is because it uses the same
mpeg2 encoder chip.

Basically I am just not happy with the encoder on the board, and I don't
have as much control over it then I would if I was doing it in software.

Besides, I do have this nifty Pentium D 3.2GHz that is only being used at
about 5% (not to mention a spare 3GB of ram or so), so I might as well
take advantage of it.