[mythtv-users] What is your video ouput card for your tv ?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Feb 24 15:25:31 UTC 2006

> Yes, but the original link provided by Guillame shows a vga to scart
> connector.  As far as I know, NTSC doesn't use scart connectors in its
> various cables.  Cory said he has built something that converts a vga to
> NTSC signal.  The vga to scart connector would be to get a vga to PAL
> signal I would imagine - I don't know what SECAM is.  At any rate, what
> I'm asking is for information on how to make the type of adaptor Cory
> made, as I would like to use a connector such as this, but cannot use
> scart.  It seems to me, that you should be able to do this and us the
> component input of a TV for instance.
> Raphael

 	Yes, this can be done.  It's called a 'transcoder' in the A/V
world.  Really, it's just implementing a RGB->YUV colorspace
transformation in analog.  That's even easier to build than the AD724
circuit.  All you need are three high-speed video amplifiers (think
op-amps), and some resistors.  There are plans on the 'net for how to
build those as well.

 	I haven't built one quite yet, as the tv I use only does 480i on
the component input anyway.  Not too much improvement over the s-vid, so
it hasn't been worth it.  When I get some more time (read: finish my
degree), I'll likely resurrect interest in the project.  I'd like to build
a "swiss-army-transcoder"... something that has VGA as inputs, and VGA,
composite, s-vid, and component as output.  Give it a correct frequency
RGBHV in, and equivalent versions will come out the other side.  I'm also
thinking of making the color subcarrier synchronous with the VSYNC to make
it more standards-complient NTSC out.

-Cory