[mythtv-users] auto stop record

CyberSource peter at cybersource.us
Wed Feb 22 13:52:09 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/21/2006 08:41 AM, CyberSource wrote:
>

>>  I have the auto stop record set to 300mb but twice now I have had
>> people that I have setup screw up their Linux systems because the
>> recordings went over and filled up the entire hard drive. I was able to
>> fix after but this is not cool. Can anyone tell me what I might be
>> missing that the auto stop record function does not work?
>>

> Truthfully, you're missing autoexpire.
>
> That being said, though, also realize that the "auto stop record" is
> actually:
>
> New Recording Free Disk Space Threshold (in Megabytes)
> MythTV will stop scheduling new recordings on a backend when its free
> disk space falls below this value.
>
> Which means that if you've set the MinRecordDiskThreshold to 300MB and
> your disk has 301MB available when a recording is scheduled to begin,
> Myth will start the recording.  Then, with a very low bitrate
> (low-quality) recording, 20 minutes later you will have exhausted the
> disk space.  If your bitrate is higher, you'll run out of space in less
> time.
>
> Note, also, that there's a setting:
>
> Extra Disk Space (in Gigabytes)
> Extra disk space you want on the recording file system beyond what
> MythTV requires. This is useful if you use the recording file system for
> data other than MythTV recordings.
>
> But, I don't think this will cause Myth to halt a recording in progress,
> either.
>
> The only way to prevent filling the disk is manual disk space management
> (delete the files before you can run out of space) or autoexpire.  The
> preferred approach is autoexpire.
>
> Mike

Hello Michael,
  Thanks for the reply. I don't like the sound of either option, I
wouldn't want someone to loose a good recording they have because it
timed out and the other option just fills up the drive anyway, or at
least that's how I'm reading your reply.
I have had the following happen,
1. The guy goes to record a 6 hour nascar show, not thinking how huge
this will be, it fills up his hard drive completely, Linux can't boot,
inodes get lost, I end up having to boot his system with a rescue cd to
fix the lost inodes, etc.
2. Another guy sets his system to record CIS whenever it's on and
forgets about it, fills up his hard drive, same as above.
  Probably the safest way would be to have a separate partition for the
holding of the recordings, etc. This way the whole system wouldnt come
to a crashing halt. I would like to have some option in Myth so that I
can say, when there is like 500MB left, stop recording. I currently have
the 300MB option (that's the default in .018 anyway) and it didnt work
in either instance, it just filled up the drive completely anyway, so I
was wondering if I missed another choice that is suppose to go with it,
i.e. the way skip commercials has all the options but will not do
anything without the one choice as to actually do it (notify, skip, etc.)