[mythtv-users] auto stop record

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 22 03:31:35 UTC 2006

On 02/21/2006 08:41 AM, CyberSource wrote:

>  I have the auto stop record set to 300mb but twice now I have had
>people that I have setup screw up their Linux systems because the
>recordings went over and filled up the entire hard drive. I was able to
>fix after but this is not cool. Can anyone tell me what I might be
>missing that the auto stop record function does not work?

Truthfully, you're missing autoexpire.

That being said, though, also realize that the "auto stop record" is
actually:

New Recording Free Disk Space Threshold (in Megabytes)
MythTV will stop scheduling new recordings on a backend when its free
disk space falls below this value.

Which means that if you've set the MinRecordDiskThreshold to 300MB and
your disk has 301MB available when a recording is scheduled to begin,
Myth will start the recording.  Then, with a very low bitrate
(low-quality) recording, 20 minutes later you will have exhausted the
disk space.  If your bitrate is higher, you'll run out of space in less
time.

Note, also, that there's a setting:

Extra Disk Space (in Gigabytes)
Extra disk space you want on the recording file system beyond what
MythTV requires. This is useful if you use the recording file system for
data other than MythTV recordings.

But, I don't think this will cause Myth to halt a recording in progress,
either.

The only way to prevent filling the disk is manual disk space management
(delete the files before you can run out of space) or autoexpire.  The
preferred approach is autoexpire.

Mike