[mythtv-users] Sharp Aquos 37D6U and DVI

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Feb 21 15:32:35 UTC 2006

Yan Seiner wrote:

> But....  Using a DVI-HDMI cable I get nothing on the Sharp.

I have an 32" Aquos 1368x768 that I've messed with for a while.  I
finally discovered that my TV was delivering some goofy DDC info.  I did
"apt-get install read-edid" and used it to read the edid info.  I
trusted the sync rates it returned, but it was reporting some goofy max
resolution.  So, I had to add a line for "no ddc" or "ignore ddc"  (I
can't remember the exact verbiage, and searching isn't doing any good.)
 If XF86 doesn't ignore the DDC it will choose to default to some VESA
640x480 mode.

I had someone explain to me that any modern display had built-in catches
to notice signals it can't display any drop signal, rather than
destroying themselves.  So I felt free to play.  I did generate some bad
modes, but my monitor never smoked.

Good luck!

--RB