[mythtv-users] Sharp Aquos 37D6U and DVI - SOLVED

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Feb 11 21:26:57 UTC 2006

Yan Seiner wrote:

>OK, this is a long shot....  My cables finally got here, so I am trying
>to get my Sharp LCD TV to talk to my PC.
>
>I have a Matrox G550 video card with DVI-Out.  I can get DVI signal to
>my LCD monitor with no problem.
>
>But....  Using a DVI-HDMI cable I get nothing on the Sharp.
>
>It sees the cable (the HDMI input is selectable) and X can get data from
>it using DDC, so I would guess that the hardware is OK.
>
>I am guessing that the Sharp is finicky about refresh rates....  And I
>can't seem to hit on the magic modeline....
>
> From googling about, I need a 1368 x 768 modeline with 60Hz refresh and
>46 kHz sync...  And I can't find one... I've tried the various
>calculators out there, and I can't seem to make it work.

The problem is the XFree drivers....  The Matrox MGA driver defaults to
the highest possible refresh rate, regardless of the config file
settings or modelines.  The Sharp won't sync at 100+ Hz refresh rates.

Download and install the latest matrox drivers from the matrox website
and all is well.

--Yan