[mythtv-users] Various MythWeb nits and gripes---can I fix these somehow?

Adam Bodnar ambodnar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 00:31:04 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>     > When you hover over the title of a show you will get a popup and there
>     > is a Notes: section. The text inside this corresponds to the type of
>     > outline.
>
> ...right...  but then you have to do the "reverse-engineering" part,
> which is to do that for each different type of outline and try to
> commit it to memory.  It seems like a tiny little legend somewhere
> you could just flick your eyes to (or some more-intuitive coloring)
> would be better.  [Yes, I'm ignoring issues of colorblind users here.]
>
> After all, there's plenty of wasted space to both sides of the four
> boxes at the top ("Display: Scheduled Duplicates Deactivated Conflicts")
> that you could put such a legend into, -OR- you could wrap the correct
> outline -around- each of those four choices, or paint them different
> colors corresponding to how you'll show them below---and then it's
> both a direct, intuitive mapping, -and- it doesn't even take up any
> more space.

Definitely....my guess it was a decision to save on space since some
pages can be so crowded. Though coloring would just lead to
memorization as well.

This I imagine(I haven't looked in the code yet) should just be a css change.

>     > This is cause a session is tied to cookies that is stored in your
>     > browser. Once you turn them off in one place, they will stay off in
>     > that place, less you are not storing or clearing cookies.
>
> As far as I know, I am storing all cookies.  But every time I return
> to that page, the boxes are all set, even if I've cleared some before
> leaving the page.  Apparently, that's a bug, so now I need to figure
> out what's going wrong with either cookies or PHP session data, and
> it'd be nice to have some idea of where to look.

I would check your cookies after you've gone to the page and see if
you have a cookie from your myth box called mythweb_id. That is what
identifies you.

>     > Well, since technically those shows are not scheduled anymore, but
>     > actually recording. They wouldn't show up on the scheduled recordings
>     > page. :)
>
> But a show that's currently recording -is- scheduled! :)
>
> Let me put it this way:  If I'm currently -in- a meeting, that
> meeting is -still- scheduled...  And it will -continue- to be
> scheduled until it's -done-, e.g., until the ending time of the
> meeting is in the past.  Otherwise, if I'm one minute late to a
> meeting, I can just blow it off, because hey, it's not scheduled
> any more so I don't have to go... :)
>
> Now, one might argue that making in-progress episodes (those whose
> start time has passed but whose end-time has not) show up differently
> (new color?) from not-yet-in-progress episodes (those whose start time
> is still in the future) might be nifty---and I'd certainly be very
> much in favor of that, because it makes it even -harder- to accidentally
> think you're not recording when you are---but it seems that the easiest
> short-term fix is to at least not remove in-progress recordings from
> the listing entirely.
>
> (It really -would- be nifty to have in-progress show up differently
> from in-the-future, btw...)

It really wouldn't be hard to change that. Just not sure if there is a
change in the data that the page pulls from when a show starts
recording. If not, then it's just a date:time check, if it does...then
that's a little trickier.