[mythtv-users] Multiple Plextor Audio Solution ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 12 05:03:05 UTC 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:51:55PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>>>
>>> Someone made a comment earlier that Plextor units require a working
>>> sound card (or at least a working ALSA/OSS system). I think he's
>>> asking  if you can record from multiple Plextor units without having
>>> multiple  logical mixer devices on the sound card.
>>
>> Quite correct.
>
> I'm sorry if I'm being dense here, but I still don't understand why
> you
> would need an extra sound card to use a second Plextor unit.  The
> ConvertX has an ADC inside so you can record from the RCA ports,
> and the
> ConvertX appears on the Linux system as an ALSA device separate
> from any
> sound cards you might have installed.  You can even use one or more
> Plextor ConvertX boxes with the MythTV backend without any sound
> card at
> all, as long as you have ALSA compiled into your kernel.

Maybe I'm being dense (wouldn't be the first time).

I see that /proc/asound/cards does in fact show the Plextor as a
"card", but with no address or IRQ.

How would I go about having this source show up to ALSA as separate
source? At present I have "/dev/dsp1" as the sound device in MythTV
for the Plextor, what could I select to get the sound recorded other
than that? How could I get sound on live playback unless I select
something that is an input to the mixer?

I admit I don't know that much about ALSA, I never had much luck with
it until MythTV (I always just got the OSS drivers from 4front
because they always "just worked", and all I ever needed was to get
the KDE sound effects and sound from DVD playback, not very demanding.