[mythtv-users] Multiple Plextor Audio Solution ???

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Feb 12 05:49:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 12:03 am, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> >> Quite correct.
> >
> > I'm sorry if I'm being dense here, but I still don't understand why
> > you
> > would need an extra sound card to use a second Plextor unit.  The
> > ConvertX has an ADC inside so you can record from the RCA ports,
> > and the
> > ConvertX appears on the Linux system as an ALSA device separate
> > from any
> > sound cards you might have installed.  You can even use one or more
> > Plextor ConvertX boxes with the MythTV backend without any sound
> > card at
> > all, as long as you have ALSA compiled into your kernel.
>
> Maybe I'm being dense (wouldn't be the first time).
>
> I see that /proc/asound/cards does in fact show the Plextor as a
> "card", but with no address or IRQ.
>
> How would I go about having this source show up to ALSA as separate
> source? At present I have "/dev/dsp1" as the sound device in MythTV
> for the Plextor, what could I select to get the sound recorded other
> than that? How could I get sound on live playback unless I select
> something that is an input to the mixer?

The question might be where you have dsp1 set, currently. You only
need it in mythtv-setup, not the frontend, AFAIK. The frontend should
use /dev/dsp, or 'ALSA:default' or whatever. So, since dsp1 is created
by the plextor software driver, one might assume that a second plextor
unit would create dsp2, which you could then specify in mythtv-setup
for your second card.

I don't think LiveTV works with the Plextors in 0.18.1. I think I
read that this has been fixed in 0.19.

Beyond that, I'm tapped out. I only have one Plextor unit, so I can't
comment further.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin