[mythtv-users] Help with a semi-busted hard drive (with all my recordings)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Feb 5 19:50:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 08:46:33AM -0800, Kristo Kriechbaum wrote:
> > Understand this: you're buying a new drive anyway.  There's noother
> > practical alternative.
>
> I have no problem with buying a new drive. The problem is the "broken"
> one is not recognized at all by the bios when it is plugged in. I
> don't have another drive like this to swap out the controller boards
> temporarily. I found a 160G Barracuda, but the layout of the logic
> board, as well as some of the larger chips, is completely different.

Ah.  Don't believe you'd said that; if I missed it, my apologies.

Yes; you'll need an exact duplicate.

Now you're into Cost-Benefit Analysis territory: how important is that
video to you?  You could take a high-res digital photo of the drive
label and logic board, and head off to eBay, and specifically their
Want-It-Now section, and there's this guy in New Jersey whose company
name I don't recall now, who stocks drives for this exact purpose;
he'll go out in his warehouse with a fax of a picture of your logic
board to see if he has a replacement.

I'll try to find his name again; we've used him before.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?