[mythtv-users] Program Guide speed on Epia M9000

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 2 04:50:39 UTC 2006

R. G. Newbury wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>Marco Ridoni wrote:
>>
>>>The program guide, on my Epia M9000 (C3 at 933MHz) based MythTV system is really slow.
>>>It takes ten seconds to enter the first screen and 2-3 seconds each time I scroll one
>>>row up or down. I've tried with different themes (Retro, Blue, GANT, etc.) and different
>>>graphics fill settings but it doesn't seem to matter a lot. Is anyone experiencing similar problems?
>>>Is this a DB issue? For everything else the system works quite well: Live TV is not a problem and
>>>DiVX videos are played without a hitch.
>>>
>>Myth can't find the channel icons.  Fix your config.
>>
>Are you saying that a channel icon is (effectively) required by myth?

No, just that you've told Myth to find channel icons somewhere and they
aren't there.  In other words, you have a value or values in the icon
field of the channel table in the database that is *not* the actual
location of the channel icon for the respective channel(s).  So, either
"UPDATE channel SET icon = '';" or get some icons or fix the values in
the database...

>And that the delay in tuning etc. is due to a 'search and not-find' delay?
>
>If so, any thoughts on where/how to patch the code to skip the search
>entirely? I don't particularly care about having channel icons... I've
>not missed them to date, but I have noticed the delay in screen
>changing.. and I have an Epia Sp13000.

While one could argue that there's no need for Myth to take so long to
figure out they're not there, I would instead argue that on a properly
configured system (one that doesn't have bad values for the icon field)
you will never experience the problem.  And, IMHO, this "bug" makes for
a great way to determine that channel icons are not at the location
specified in the database--that there's a problem with the settings in
the database that should be corrected.  So, the "bug" lets the user
"know"* to fix the problem.

However, if you do decide to make a patch for it, I would suggest that
the patch should /not/ "cache" the non-existence of the file.  Doing so
could impede users' efforts to fix their database data (

Mike

*Where "know" means the user writes to the list, and someone responds
with, "Myth can't find the channel icons. Fix your config." ;) (Or, even
better a more verbose description of how to fix the problem.)