[mythtv-users] Graphics card recomendation

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Aug 31 15:33:47 UTC 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 7:32 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> <HUGE snip>
> On 8/30/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> drive it. :) I imagine the difference is comparable to listening to
>> an SA-CD and a DVD-Audio disc. I have both of these and I can't
>> determine which is "better" resolution without googling for the
>> answer, but they are both much better than a regular CD (which would
>> be Standard Def TV in this analogy).
>
> The problem with the SACD/DVDA analogy is that both of those offer the
> same "resolution" in the end (minus the whole mathematical flaw with
> SACD).  And, the medium the audio is delivered on has much less impact
> than the recording, processing and mastering process that goes on
> before it even gets compressed to either of these formats...

Believe me, I know. I live with a musician/producer/engineer/
mastering engineer complete with a studio in my basement and some
pretty impressive digital and analog equipment. I can hear the
differences between DVD-A and 2" analog tape, but only when listening
side-by-side. This is why I feel the same is true for video quality.
Sure there's a difference, but would anybody really be able to look
at a display and tell if it's 1080p content displayed at 1920x1080 or
3840x2160 resolution without seeing a comparison right next to it?