[mythtv-users] Graphics card recomendation

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Aug 31 07:11:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:40:39PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I challenge anyone to tell me the difference between 1080p resolution
> displayed at 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 resolution without literally
> putting them side-by-side and deliberating. Further, I challenge
> anyone to be able to afford a 3840x2160 display and video card to
> drive it. :)

In theory, a 3840x2160 monitor would do a much better job at
displaying the 1080p video, assuming it did scan-line interpolation
instead of simply scan-doubling.  The same is true when feeding an
NTSC signal into a HDTV display - the cheap ones just repeat each
line twice (or switch to a low resolution mode and show black bars
between successive scans) while the better ones do weighted
averaging of the incoming signal and create a pretty good fake HD
signal.

I've actually used a 3840x2160 26" LCD (that's about 170DPI) and
the image is so clear you can't see the individual pixels without a
magnifying glass.  Don't plan on driving one with a single video
card, though.  The one I was using was being driven by FOUR
high-powered video cards.