[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Deciding

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 19:10:14 UTC 2006

On 30/08/06, Daniel A Segel <mythtv at archer-segel.com> wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > OK, so disabling the PVR-350 hardware decoder and instead using the
> > software decoder to do Xv output on the PVR-350 still doesn't solve the
> > problem that MythTV requires a 100x100DPI, and it's impossible to get
> > that using a video aspect ratio that differs from the display aspect ratio.
> >

> Not to beat a dead horse (I don't really care what video card other
> people use), but I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. I
> have my display set up to be 100x100dpi, and the Myth interface is
> adjusted to fit it perfectly, within reason - my TV doesn't display
> equal overscan on all four sides, so when I have it adjusted properly
> for the top of the display the lower-right corner is sometimes off, but
> that's a problem with my TV, not the 350.
>
>  From my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>   Identifier "Sony TV"
>   HorizSync 30-50
>   VertRefresh 60
>   DisplaySize 182 121
>   Mode "720x480"
>     DotClock 34.564
>     HTimings 720 736 808 896
>     VTimings 480 481 484 497
>     Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
>   EndMode
> EndSection
>
> This leads to:
> (**) IVTVDEV_TST(0)Display dimensions: (182, 121) mm
> (**) IVTVDEV_TST(0)DPI set to (100, 100)

This was pretty much how my system was set up until I realised
that16:9 DVDs (played using Xine) were appearing as letterbox on my
16:9 CRT TV, which didn't seem right.  Not suprising though because
Xine must think the apect ration is 1.5:1 rather than the actual
1.77:1.  So I tweaked the displaysize until the aspect ratio was
correct for my TV, while keeping the DPI as close to 100 as I could.
I suppose I should probably have adjust the resolution to an aspect
ratio of 16:9, but that was beyond my skill level.