[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Deciding

Daniel A Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Wed Aug 30 18:09:02 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> OK, so disabling the PVR-350 hardware decoder and instead using the
> software decoder to do Xv output on the PVR-350 still doesn't solve the
> problem that MythTV requires a 100x100DPI, and it's impossible to get
> that using a video aspect ratio that differs from the display aspect ratio.

Not to beat a dead horse (I don't really care what video card other
people use), but I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. I
have my display set up to be 100x100dpi, and the Myth interface is
adjusted to fit it perfectly, within reason - my TV doesn't display
equal overscan on all four sides, so when I have it adjusted properly
for the top of the display the lower-right corner is sometimes off, but
that's a problem with my TV, not the 350.

 From my xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "Sony TV"
   HorizSync 30-50
   VertRefresh 60
   DisplaySize 182 121
   Mode "720x480"
     DotClock 34.564
     HTimings 720 736 808 896
     VTimings 480 481 484 497
     Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
   EndMode
EndSection

This leads to:
(**) IVTVDEV_TST(0)Display dimensions: (182, 121) mm
(**) IVTVDEV_TST(0)DPI set to (100, 100)

I have the 350 set to use 720x480 for both capture and playback just
because it's easier for exporting to DVD and disk space isn't an issue.

You're right in that I may not have seen a good video card setup, but I
have read many comments from others who claimed they could never get
their cards to output as nice a signal as they got with the 350. I
actually have a nice nVidia card that I intended to use instead of the
PVR-350, but it conflicted with the built-in video on my ASUS mobo and I
got tired of fiddling with it and went back to the 350 instead.

Daniel