[mythtv-users] Having GDM autostart ratpoison

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Aug 25 13:31:04 UTC 2006

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Leo Kliger <lkliger at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 17:29 -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>> On 8/24/06, John Johnson <johnatl at mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> I will give this a try, but do you know what this line means?
>>>

> This did not work for me.  It is still loading up kde automatically.
> Very frustrating as I know I have set it up so that user mythtv can
> autologin via gdm to ratpoison, but I can't remember how I did it.
>
> Again, any help would be appreciated.  I want to free up my memory and
> CPU for more important things than running kde.

I have never used anythiung by KDE. However I remember reading something
about editing file .xintrc which IIRC is what the system uses when you
click on 'session' from a login screen.
But of course I cannot seem to find that file.

HOWEVER! Check out the file /etc/X11/predm which checks the
/etc/syconfig/desktop file and loads Gnome or KDE etc depending on the
environment variable DISPLAYMANAGER.

my 'desktop' file is empty but I suspect if you were to 'export
DISPLAYMANAGER= "ratpoison"  (or something like that) you might bemaking
some progress...

Does this ring any faint bells?

Geoff