[mythtv-users] Need help with Analog spdif and IEC958 using ALSA

Gregg 3gemail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:05:33 UTC 2006

> I'm a bit confused with what you are trying to do.  SPDIF and iec958 are
>one in the same (iec-958 is the specification number for the Sony/Philips
>Digital Interface - SPDIF).  The SPDIF data can be transmitted either over
>an analog RCA jack or optically.  Is this what you are trying to
>differentiate when you say "both analog SPDIF and IEC958", or are you
>actually trying to use the analog outputs (not SPDIF at all).
>
>Please tell us how you have things connected in your setup (i.e. directly to
>your TV, through a receiver, etc.)
>
>I personally only use SPDIF (optical) through my Yamaha Receiver- it works
>for all.
>
>Ron

Originally when it was setup using fc3 it worked as you say.  It is a
long story, but I upgraded to fc5. I have an Analog cable connected to
my external amp digital in from  the SBlive SPDIF output using a Phono
Jack to 1/8" Mono Phone Plug Shielded Adapter.  When I say analog I am
referring to the "SBLive Analog/Digital" switch in the mixer. and
"IEC958 Optical Raw" switch within the mixer.  I currently have the
"IEC958 Optical Raw" switch unmuted and I get AC3 and non Ac3 sound
through mythtv.  Prior to the upgrade I used "SBLive Analog/Digital"
switch and everything worked great.
  For reference my .asoundrc file is set to:
pcm.digital-hw {
  type hw
 card 0
 device 2  #Was device 0 in fc3

With the current settings I get great sound through mythtv for AC3
through the PcHd3000 and Xine and good pcm sound through the pvr250.
I get lousy sound through xmame and no sound through snes9x unless I
uncheck "IEC958 Optical Raw" switch and check  "SBLive Analog/Digital"
switch.

If I change it to device 0 I get non AC3 sound through mythtv pvr250 ,
static with PcHD300 and xine.  And good sound with xmame and  snes9x.
This is when I uncheck "IEC958 Optical Raw" switch and check  "SBLive
Analog/Digital" switch.

For reference here is the output from aplay -l 2>&1 | grep '^card'
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4780]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4780]], device 2: emu10k1 efx
[Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4780]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]

Thanks.

-Gregg