[mythtv-users] Slimserver, SoftSqueeze & MythTV

Russell Brown rmbzzz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 18:33:01 UTC 2006

2006/8/22, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
> Question on this whole Squeeze thing... From what I see the media is
> streamed from the server to the client, is this like icecast where its
> reencoded or does it just stream the file to the client?
>
> --
> Steve
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

I think there is a choice to be made.

The squeezebox, (the intended client
of the slimserver) can play a number
of audio formats. Visit
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html
for details. For formats that the client can
play, I think the file is just streamed, I think.

The server also has the ability to transcode formats.
Thus, if your music is in a format that the client cannot
play, the server will transcode. You can also transcode to a
lower bitrate if bandwidth is a problem.
I believe this can be configured in a fairly flexible
way, though I have not played much with this.

The slimserver can also send an mp3 stream to
an mp3 player such as xmms or windows media player.
Thus, a simple way to integrate
slimserver into myth is to use mythstream
to play the stream. (With this option, you have
to set up the playlist using a web browser. Mythstream
only serves to as a player.)