[mythtv-users] Slimserver, SoftSqueeze & MythTV

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 19:11:09 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Russell Brown <rmbzzz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is a choice to be made.
>
> The squeezebox, (the intended client
> of the slimserver) can play a number
> of audio formats. Visit
> http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html
> for details. For formats that the client can
> play, I think the file is just streamed, I think.
>
> The server also has the ability to transcode formats.
> Thus, if your music is in a format that the client cannot
> play, the server will transcode. You can also transcode to a
> lower bitrate if bandwidth is a problem.
> I believe this can be configured in a fairly flexible
> way, though I have not played much with this.

I've been using slimserver on my myth box for quite some time now.  I use it
simply as a server - not integrated into Myth in any way.  Its used to
access all the same music files that MythMusic plays so that I can listen to
them elsewhere (like here at work through ssh - works quite well actually).
Russell is correct about the re-encoding/transcoding.  Its all configurable
through a web interface.  I think though  that it always decodes the file to
the actual sample data then re-encodes it if needed - not sure thogh.  It
is, however, very easy to configure.  And the settings are associated per
client (Mac Address).  This way if you have a client that sits on the net
and can handle the raw wav stream - you can send it that way, with another
client that is bandwidth limited getting a stream that's re-encoded at a
lower bandwidth.

I'm considering buying one of slim-devices boxes.  They are a bit pricey,
but I've been so happy with the stability and operation of slimserver that
I'm sold.

Ron