[mythtv-users] Firewire question

Ivan Kabaivanov chepati at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 16:23:23 UTC 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 12:10, list at onnow.net wrote:
> Quoting Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com>:
> > On 8/21/06, Aaron Howard <archanoid at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Just looking for some verification here.  From everything I've read
> >> (google, old mythtv threads, etc.) it appears using firewire I should be
> >> able to get the digital cable and HD channels from my SA3250HD box
> >> (non-5C channels, that is), but I still need an NTSC tuner to get the
> >> SD/analog channels and some other way to get down-sampled 5C channels.
> >>
> >> Is that correct?  It's not a problem, but I'm in the planning phase for
> >> setting up an HD MythTV rig and trying to cover my bases.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> -Aaron

> > What channels you will get varies by your provider but in general you
> > will not be able to get all your channels so most opt to go with a combo
> > firewire for HD channels and something like a PVR150 for analog channels.
> > It's what I am using and works pretty good.
> >
> > Allan
>
> Please elaborate on your setup. I am interested as this is what I am
> wanting to do as well.
> So for example, channels 2-35 in through analog cable to a PVR-150 and
> 36-47 ( just an example) in through firewire from a set top box?  And
> now, will Myth know that 2-35  is from one source, and 36-47 from
> another and have no probs with that?

I'm also interested in such a setup (partial firewire, partial pvr-x50).  I'm
guessing the way to tell mythtv what channel to record from what source would
be to have two Datadirect profiles, with each one listing only the channels
you want from the corresponding source.  For example, you can have a profile
just for the channels you'll be recording over firewire, and a second one
for... everything else.  Then in mythtv-setup you'll associate the correct
profile with the corresponding source.

At least that's what I'm planning on doing.

IvanK.